Open 7 Days a Week

Moving to Sweden


Capital: Stockholm
Population: 9,716,962 (2014)
Area: 173,745 sq. mi
Top 5 Largest Cities: 1. Stockholm 2. Gothenburg 3. Malmo 4. Uppsala 5. Vasteras
Lanuage: Swedish
Climate: Tempurate
Motto: “For Sverige – I tiden” / “For Sweden – With the Times”

Looking to move to Sweden? Let Nationwide Van Line take care of all of your overseas needs. Our staff is looking forward to providing you with professional service to keep you and your furniture in great hands. Your matters matter to us, thus allow us to take charge of your important move to Sweden.

Required Documents for Import

To assist clearing your household goods, Customs will need to obtain documents for processing. Please take a look at some of the needed documents below.

Import Declaration – A document stating the household goods being shipped.

Certificate of Origin – Gives verification of which country your household goods are manufactured in.

Import Requirements and Documentation

Customs will require certain documentation of yourself and your items for clearance. Please take a look below at some of the needed documents.

  • Your Passport
  • Your Ocean Bill of Lading
  • Your Lease Agreement showing a year or more abroad
  • Residence Permit if you are a foreigner
  • 3 copies of our Detailed Inventory in the English, German, French or the Swedish language
  • Swedish Customs Form (Foersaekran Foer Flyttsakstullfrihet) signed and witnessed in Sweden.
  • Your Letter of Employment showing a year or more abroad
  • Diplomatic Franchise if you are a Diplomat

Additional detailed document requirements

  • You must be in Sweden once Customs clearance is done.
  • A physical inspection by Customs is not required, but can be requested by Customs to do so.
  • You cannot bring HHGS to Sweden for the use of another or commercial use.
  • If you are immigrating or returning to Sweden after being abroad for a year or more outside the European Union (EU) and have a permanent resident in Sweden for at least a year, a Customs Exemption is granted for your goods (not including alcohol).
  • All crates, liftvans, bulk heads, etc. made of wood must be treated by the regulations of the International Standard for Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM15) along with a certified stamp. If the furniture piece manufactured then the prior mentioned is not necessary.
  • If you are a returning citizen, your consignment must arrive within their own in return. Your Inventory list must be detailed and descriptive with the contents of each item and carton without expression statements such as “PBO”, “living room”, etc.
  • If you are a foreigner, your shipment must arrive within one year after you’ve arrived.
  • You must have your HHGS and personal effects used for at least 6 months.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Sweden along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

Once your items has arrived to your duties and taxes will be due if applicable. Your duties will range from 2 to 14% and a Valued-added Tax (VAT) of 25%.

Duty-free Items

As part of the European Union (EU), there are duty-free opportunities with restrictions. Please venture below to learn what is duty-free and its exceptions.

If moving from a European Union country, all HHGS will be duty-free with the restrictions below to deem as personal use, not for commercial use or sale:

  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a non-European Union country, the following HHGS can be imported by persons 17 years or older duty-free.

  • 16 liters of beer
  • 1 liter of spirits (over 22%)
  • 2 liters of alcohol (less than 22%)
  • 4 liters of wine
  • 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 100 cigarillos or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Other types of goods, such as souvenirs, with a complete value up to $492.04 USD, $340.64 USD if traveling by boat or a private plane. Gibraltar and The Channel Islands are considered outside of the EU

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the English language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

Not every item is accepted into Sweden. Please venture below at some of the prohibited items below.

  • Illegal drugs
  • Wireless telephones
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • Narcotics
  • Switchblades
  • Ivory and skins from any endangered species

Restricted Items

Some items are permitted into Sweden with certain restrictions. Please take a look at the restrictions of those items below.

  • New furniture must have its sales invoice with the buying price, the place of purchase, date and also a packing list.
  • Food must express being harvested or processed prior to March 11th, 2011 and must not originate from a radiation affected location.
  • Plastic kitchenware made of melamine and polyamide originating from China or Hong Kong.
  • Items less than 6 months old
  • Wedding gifts
  • Air Soft Guns must be imported by adults 18 years or older with social security number. The gun must be carbon driven.
  • Fireworks, ammunition, firearms and weapons require an Import License issued by the Swedish Police.
  • Inherited items
  • If you are importing medicines, you must have your doctor’s prescription and must be for personal use only. You are allowed only a 5 day supply.
  • Any goods and/or products made of animals must have special permission for import.
  • Any vegetables, plants and fruits may require a Plant Passport and a Phytosanitary Certificate that’s issued by the Plant Protection Service.
  • Alcohol and Tobacco must be declared and could be taxed. It may be very expensive to import so contact your destination agent. Please allow around 3 weeks for clearance.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to Sweden, please take a look at the websites below.

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.