Moving to Mexico


Capital: Mexico City
Population: 118,395,054 (2013)
Area: 761,606 sq. mi
Top 5 Largest Cities: 1. Mexico City 2. Ecatepec 3. Guadalajara 4. Puebla 5. Juárez
Lanuage: Spanish
Climate: Temprate
Motto: “Patria, Libertad, Trabajo y Cultura” / “Country, Liberty, Work and Culture”

Moving over the boarder to Mexico can be very stress-free and exciting with Nationwide Van Lines. We will walk you through the entire process so you will never feel alone. Our team of professionals are more than happy to assure you are being moved the best way possible. Allow us to make your move a great move!

Required Documents for Import

To assist clearing your household goods (HHGS), the documents below may be needed. Please familiarize yourself with the documents below.

Padron de Importadores – A national registry for al importers and exporters. This will allow your HHGS to be imported successfully.

Padron Sectorial – The registry of special products.

Certificado de Origen – Certifying that your HHGS can be released from a country of territory.

Your Visa de Residente Temporal – This form is your Temporary Residence Visa which is obtained by the Instituto.

Registro Federal Causantes – The Federal Registration of Tax ID of the company you work for that is provided by your employer.

Clava Unoca de Registro de Poblacion (CURP) – A document for citizens and residents to gain an 18 alphanumeric identity code to identify you.

Registro Federal de Contribuyentes (RFC) – Document needed if you are conducting business that is rightfully or is obligated for the declaration of taxes.

Carta Compromiso – Your commitment letter to cover finances for import.

Carta Juramentada – A declaration made to Customs stating that all new items are listed and that there are no prohibited items in your shipment.

Nacional de Migracion – Acts as a temporary work Visa.

Import Requirements and Documentation

There are important documents necessary to help you through Customs. Below you will find some of the documents you will be asked of.

  • Your Passport
  • Original Bill of Lading
  • You Inventory with estimated value in Spanish
  • Diplomatic Franchise from the General Customs Authority if a Diplomat
  • 2 copies and an original Inventory List typed in Spanish, signed by the owner of goods and stamped by the Mexican
  • The declaration of value of your shipment with the signature of the client
  • Letter of Guarantee from your employer if a FM – 3 Visa holder
  • FM – 2 Visa if a returning citizen and FM – 2 Visa holders
  • FM – 3 Visa if a foreigner
  • Import Permit for Diplomats
  • The details of the shippers contact and address
  • A list of electronic item’s serial number, make and model if a returning citizens, FM – 2 and FM – 3 Visa holder
  • Liability letter from your service agent
  • Manifestation of Value form from your service agent

Additional detailed document requirements

  • Letter for Customs clearly stating you’ve lived abroad for over 6 months.
  • A Letter of Guarantee, if a FM – 3 Visa holder to confirm that your company will take the responsibility of your duties and taxes and that you will not export your HHGS once you leave the country.
  • Place “No hay ningunos articulos nuevos en los efectos” on your Inventory List if you do not have any new HHGS.
  • Items used for less than 6 months are deemed new and has to be separately imported. There will be taxes and duties implied. You must include the proof of purchase to pay the duties of 20% and the Impuesto al Valor Agregado (IVA; Mexico’s VAT) of 15%.
  • Assure that there is not an excessive amount of artifacts, carpets, painting and artifacts within your goods and each is identified within your Packing List.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Mexico along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

Once your items are in Customs hands, you will be in charge of satisfying the Impuesto al Valor Agregado (IVA). This is Mexico’s version of the Value-Added Tax (VAT). IVA usually runs from 10% to 16%.

Duty-free Items

Mexico has specifics about the duty-free goods one can import. You must be 18 years or older and stay within the below restrictions.

  • 200 cigarettes or 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco
  • 6 liters of wine
  • 3 liters of spirits
  • Other goods equal or less to $75 USD by land or $300 USD by air.

Used personal effects and used household effects are duty free as long as the below applies:

  • You must have lived abroad for at least 6 months if a returning national.
  • You must have had the items in your possession for at least 6 months.
  • All items that are less than 6 months old are declared separately.
  • If you are a FM – 3 Visa holder, you cannot export any used goods until departure.
  • If a FM – 2 Visa holder or a returning Mexican citizen, you must have proof of living abroad for at least 2 years.
  • Electronics items and appliances must be within one or two lift vans together.
  • All split shipments has to arrive to the port of entry at the same time.
  • The following are the types and quantities of new items and items in original packaging that are regulated for free duty:
    • 1 bicycle
    • 20 DVD’s, CD’s and/or tapes
    • 2 electronic toys
    • 10 pieces of furniture
    • 10 items of clothing
    • 5 computer parts
    • 10 toys
    • 3 pairs of shoes
    • 20 pieces of faux jewelry
    • 1 piece of sporting goods equipment
    • 3 pieces of jewelry
    • 1 tool set
    • 6 large appliances

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the Spanish language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

There are a number of items Mexico will not allow to be imported. Please take a look below to discover some of the prohibited items.

  • Electronic cigarettes
  • Military equipment
  • Narcotics
  • Toilette paper
  • Collectables
  • Weapons
  • Plants
  • Negotiable bonds
  • Boats
  • Blank CD’s
  • Chocolate cigars
  • Detergents, soaps and items of similarity
  • Used electrical items
  • Diapers
  • Liquids
  • Gold
  • Fruits
  • Motorized vehicles except cars
  • Oriental rugs
  • Counterfeit items
  • Blank DVD’s
  • Spices
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • No large quantities of any items to avoid consideration for sale
  • Knives
  • A display of childhood in a degrading manner through stamps or transfers
  • Turtle eggs or skin
  • Negotiable drafts
  • Vegetables
  • Precious metals
  • Tissue paper
  • Blank tapes
  • Silver
  • Meat
  • Fossils
  • Bicycles and its parts
  • Blank white paper
  • Explosives

Restricted Items

There are items that are allowed to be imported in Mexico, yet has a form of restriction. Please take a look below at some of the restricted items and their restrictions.

  • Alcoholic beverages and wine are charged the normal duty and tax rate even if classified as a gift. An Importer’s License (Padron de Importadores), a 2nd Importer’s License (Padron Sectorial) and Marbetes Tags issued by a Government dependency in Mexico for wine bottles are required. Clearance has to be arranged by a Customs Broker.
  • If shipping any animal consumed product, external or internal, you must obtain a pre-permit from the Health Ministry (Sanidad).
  • Archaeological artefacts and antiques are in need of proof of ownership.
  • No more than 2 credit cards with an invoice included.
  • Some insecticides are restricted.
  • Checks valuing over $10,000.00 USD must have a declaration drawn by the shipper and consignee and presented to the Mexican government.
  • Some fish are restricted.
  • Products or items of non-domesticated animals (all animals except cows, pigs, sheep and goats) whom are not considered at risk of extinction requires a C.I.T.E.S. (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) permit.
  • If shipping any chemical products, you must obtain a technical letter.
  • Firearms and ammunition requires a permit by the Ministry of Economy and the Ministry of National Defense.
  • New shoes will incur a higher tax if from an Asian country. Used shoes must be for personal use only with proof by the consignee that the shoes are theirs using their passport or travel ticket. Used shoes also requires an import authorization form from the Treasure Department.
  • If sending anything meant for internal or external human consumption, a pre-permit is required from the Health Ministry (Sanidad)
  • If your Green Card is written in completely, a printed code of “49111099-impresos” is necessary. If your Green Card isn’t written in completely, a printed code of “49119903-formas con claro para escribir” is necessary.
  • All drugs and medical items must have a permit from the Health Department by the consignee.
  • Any nuts, washers, screws, fasteners and items of such must have the specific name description, International identification code, specific dimensions and the weight in kilograms.
  • If shipping used clothing, you must have left clothing behind abroad and using your clothing shipped for personal use. You must present your airline ticket to show you came from abroad into Mexico recently. If going to Guadalajara, you cannot import any new or used clothes unless it’s for personal use. If your clothing values $1,000 USD or more, then you must present a Padron de Importadores, Padron Sectorial, Normas de Etiquetado (labeling or non-commercialization letter), Certificado de Origen (Certificate of Origin) and a Certificate of Origin II or Certificate of Manufacturer if the origin country is Central America, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, South America, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand or Vietnam.
  • New unused electrical items must have the trademark, model number, serial number, point-of-sale value per unit item and per package or per shipment, name, class, number or the partial quantities of packages, or the total of them if needed.
  • Wheels can only be imported into the port of the Mexico City Customs and requires a special NICE certificate.
  • Any wood or products made of wood requires an Agriculture permit from the Secretary of Agriculture by the consignee.
  • Non-perishable and perishable foods must have a permit from the Department of Health in Mexico by the consignee or from the Mexican Embassy by the shipper.
  • Computers, printers, monitors, keyboards, mouse clickers, memory hardware, scanners and readers only can be imported for repair.
  • Tapes of any kind worth $1,000.00 USD or more must have an import license obtained by the consignee.
  • You or your broker must be a registered importer with the Mexican Customs to import toys. You must also detail the existence of toys and its origin country. Any plastic or stuffed toys, toy cars, scooters, Barbie dolls, skate boards, etc. will incur a tax of 351%.
  • Any software worth over $1,000.00 USD requires a Padron Sectorial (sectorial register) to register the software. Any software worth $1,000.00 USD or less requires only the RFC number.
  • Compact disk requires a Pedimento Global, the Official and Fiscal Mexican document.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to Mexico, please visit the websites below:

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.

Founder And PresidentTali Maskalik

No matter if you’re relocating within the same neighborhood or overseas, moving can be pretty stressing. In fact, moving is repeatedly ranked as the third most stressful life event and sometimes seems to be completely overwhelming. On top of moving, you often have to deal with realtors, mortgage financing and even finding a great school for your kids. To keep all the moving components tracked and timely, organization is a big must. Utilizing a filing system is a great way to keep...

Tali Maskalik
Tali Maskalik
Founder And PresidentTali Maskalik

No matter if you’re relocating within the same neighborhood or overseas, moving can be pretty stressing. In fact, moving is repeatedly ranked as the third most stressful life event and sometimes seems to be completely overwhelming. On top of moving, you often have to deal with realtors, mortgage financing and even finding a great school for your kids. To keep all the moving components tracked and timely, organization is a big must. Utilizing a filing system is a great way to keep...