Open 7 Days a Week

Moving to Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Population: 7,234,800 (2014)
Area: 426 sq. mi
Lanuage: Chinese and English
Climate: Humid subtropical climate

Are you planning to move your household goods and personal effects to Hong Kong? Nationwide Van Lines has the know-how and ability to set your goods to Hong Kong easily. Our team of professionals will take away the stress of your overseas transport with an excellent consultant and certified professional movers. Allow Nationwide Van Lines to take charge of your great move!

Required Documents for Import

To assist clearing your household goods (HHGS), documentation of certain aspects of your shipment is necessary. Below are a few documents needed to help clear you through Customs.

Import Declaration – A document stating the household goods being shipped.

Certificate of Origin – Gives verification of which country your household goods are manufactured in.

Import Requirements and Documentation

Personal documents will be needed to identify you along with your HHGS shipment. Below you will find some forms of documents you may need.

  • Your Original Bill of Lading
  • A copy of your Passport (only the identification pages)
  • All of your contact information in Hong Kong
  • Your detailed inventory list

Additional detailed document requirements

  • All HHGS and personal effects are duty-free for import excluding the restricted goods.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Hong Kong along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

Once your items has arrived to Hong Kong, all items that are not featured as restricted are duty-free.

Duty-free Items

  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Wine or Spirits under 30% volume
  • 19 cigarettes or 1 cigar or 25 grams of tobacco
  • 1 liter of alcohol over 30% volume

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the English language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

It’s important to avoid importing prohibited

  • Illegal drugs
  • Narcotics
  • Deadly weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Psychotropic drugs
  • Protected animals
  • Counterfeit goods
  • Poultry
  • Endangered species
  • Knives
  • Game
  • Strategic commodities
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • Meat
  • Radio transmitting equipment
  • Controlled chemicals
  • Rough diamonds
  • Products of Iran

Restricted Items

Though most household goods and personal effects are duty-free, there are restrictions to certain extremes. Please take a look at the following list of some restricted items below.

  • Firearms, ammunition and explosives can be imported with permission.
  • Electronic cigarettes are in need of proper licenses.
  • Alcohol must show the Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF) value and the quantity. If your alcohol is between 30 – 100%, duty will apply. If your alcohol is under 30% then it’s rated zero for duty and charged at the CIF rate.
  • Toy guns require an International Special Commodities contract and must be no more of 2 joules of muzzle energy.
  • Weapons and ammunition requires a license obtained from the Hong Kong Police Department.
  • Antibiotics are in need of a doctor’s prescription.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to…

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.