Open 7 Days a Week

Moving to France


Population:65.7 million (2012)
Area:211,209 sq miles
Top 5 Largest Cities:1. Paris 2. Marseille 3. Lyon 4. Toulouse 5. Nice
Climate:Oceanic, Mediterranean and continental.
Motto:“Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite” / “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity”

Moving your household goods to another country can be made easy with Nationwide Van Lines. Our goal is to Guarantee your price, remain above par with our immaculate services and to keep you smiling through your entire venture. Our Certified Packers & Loaders have s professional ethic and training to make your furniture move successful and very memorable. Allow us to express our passion through making your move a success.

The following personal documents are required by Customs

  • A copy of your Passport
  • Your Visa
  • Proof of your residency in France
  • A Delivery Address
  • Your sales invoices of any items you’ve purchased within the last 6 months before importing
  • Attestation of non-resale
  • Packing List in English or French
  • Your Original Bill Lading
  • Your Inventory in French and in Euro currency
  • A Certificate of Change showing the French Consulate that you have been living abroad in the origin country for no less than 12 months and is in the motion of permanently residing in France
  • A Certificate of Transfer from your employer showing you’ve been employed for over 12 months with a transfer to France

Additional detailed document requirements

  • Allow yourself 3 to 4 days for Customs clearance of your HHGS
  • HHGS will be charged a Value Added Tax (VAT) at 19.6% if exported from a European Community.
  • If your HHGS are exported from a non-European country, VAT will be 19.6% in addition to duties of about 10%.
  • If you will be primarily residing in France and have used HHGS in your possession or at use for at least 6 months, your HHGS will be duty-free.
  • You do not have to be present for Custom clearance
  • If you are required to pay any duties, you must have authorization from the French Customs before you arrive in France.

Additional detailed document requirements

  • All of your documents must be legalized and certified by the Argentine Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • You cannot import a shipment if you are a foreigner with a Tourist Visa.
  • You must notify Customs that you are expecting a shipment after entry and you must have a note within your Passport for non-Diplomats.
  • You will have to pay duties and taxes amounting to 50% of the freight on board (FOB) if you are a Foreigner with a Temporary Resident Visa. You can avoid this charge by importing under a temporary admission. Your items must be bonded for the time of your Visa or period developed by Customs once your items are released and the bond renews before its expiration date. If your employer is a registered import/export agent in Argentina, he/she can authorize their signature for a guarantee or guaranteed by a local insurance company through the Poliza de Caucion. If your Guarantee expiration date is not renewed, your items will be re-exported before the expiration date. If you obtain a Permanent Residence Visa prior to re-exportation, your goods will be deemed nationalized and will not be re-exported or charged duties or taxes.
  • If a Diplomat, you must have a full copy of your Passport by the Diplomatic Mission or by your local official foreign organization.
  • You Diplomatic Franchise must be obtained by the Diplomatic Mission or the Official Foreign Organization of where you are employed for Diplomats.
  • If you have not re-entered Argentina for 30 straight days and been abroad for a year or more, your import will be duty free. You can have one duty-free import every 3 years following the previously mentioned guidelines for Argentine and foreign citizens with a Permanent Visa.
  • If you’ve been abroad for 2 years or more, you can import your shipment duty-free for Argentine and foreign citizens with a Permanent Visa. It does not matter how many days you’ve been in Argentina during the time period of the year prior to entry. You are allowed to perform the prior mentioned once every 7 years.
  • Original National Identity Document (DNI) or your original Residencia Precaria
  • Residence Certificate issued by the Argentine Consulate at your origin. If you’ve resided in multiple countries within 2 years prior of import in Argentina, a Residence Certificate is needed from each country.
  • All of your documents written in the Spanish language must have an official translator translate and must be certified by the Colegio Argentino de Traductores.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in France along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

You will be responsible to pay Duty Tax and Value-Added Tax (VAT) for clearance through Customs. The Duties in France can run from 5 to 17% and the VAT ranges from 5.5 to 19.6%. The VAT is charged the same rate as the sale of the same item within the state of a good that’s similar. Value-Added Tax will be 19.6%.

Duty-free Items

As part of the European Union, there are duty-free opportunities with restrictions. Below you will find the duty-free scenarios: If moving from the United Kingdom, these items will be duty-free:

  • Skincare products
  • Fragrances
  • Champagne
  • Fashion accessories
  • Souvenirs
  • Gifts
  • Cosmetics
  • Selected spirits
  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a European Union country, all HHGS will be duty-free with the restrictions below to deem as personal use, not for commercial use or sale:

  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a non-European Union country, the following HHGS can be imported by persons 17 years or older duty-free.

  • 16 liters of beer
  • 1 liter of spirits (over 22%)
  • 2 liters of alcohol (less than 22%)
  • 4 liters of wine
  • 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 100 cigarillos or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Other HHGS up to $546.47 USD in worth for air and sea travelers, $381.26 USD in worth for other travelers and $190.63 USD in worth for children who are 15 years or younger

Labeling and Marking Requirements

All labeling must be done in the English or French Language.

Required information:

  • The Name and Address of the importer
  • The Country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The Quantity

Prohibited Items

Please be aware that not every item is accepted by Customs in France. To avoid any delays and extra charges, please refer to the list of restricted items below.

  • Explosives
  • Matches
  • Live Plants
  • Products made ivory, turtle shells, etc.
  • Gambling machines
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • Controlled drugs and narcotics
  • Any item protected by the 1973 Washington Convention (CITES
  • Counterfeit items
  • Melatonin
  • Ivory
  • Weapons
  • Ammunition
  • Animal Skin
  • Paint
  • Cleaning Solvents
  • Polishes
  • Products of Iran

Restricted Items

There are many restricted items that Customs will pay very close attention to. Please take a look at some of the items and their restrictions below

  • Any Archeological or paleontological patrimony (items of life existence in former geological periods) can be imported, but not exported.
  • Only one of each item is allowed for import.
  • All items must be used and in possession for a year or more. New items have high duties applied
  • Up to 30 liters of alcoholic beverages.
  • For items that are worth $1,000 USD or more or more than 110 lbs., you must have a Formal Entry with a 3rd party Customs Broker.
  • Weapons for sports must have proof of ownership.
  • Products for hygiene, excluding soap, requires a certificate from the Government Agency (ANMAT)
  • Large amounts of tobacco, alcohol and food products.
  • All weapons must be declared and authorized by the Registro Nacional de Armas (RENAR).
  • Certain items considered commercial items cannot be cleared. Determination is based on the quality, quantity or type.
  • A specialized form is required for any original paintings and works of art.
  • You must have authorization to import works of art and ancient monuments.
  • Wood and items made of wood must be treated for pest.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to France, please visit:

Direction Générale des Douanes et Droits Indirects
Bureau de l’information et de la communication
11, rue des deux Communes 93558�?
93558 Montreuil cedex, France
Phone: +33 1 57 53 49 91�?
Fax: + 33 1 57 53 49 37

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.