Open 7 Days a Week

Moving to Belgium


Capital: Brussels
Population: 11,198,638 (2014)
Area: 11,787 sq. mi
Top 5 Largest Cities: 1. Antwerp 2. Ghent 3. Charleroi 4. Liege 5. City of Brussels
Lanuage: Dutch, French and German
Climate: Maritime temperature
Motto: “Eendracht maakt macht”; “L’union fait la force”; “Einigkeit gibt Starke” / “Unity gives Strength”

Looking for a great mover to help you move your household goods to Belgium? Nationwide Van Lines is the right place to keep your move in a professional manner. We want to relieve the stress that could come with moving abroad by being attentive of every step we cross together. Remember, you are not alone. Let Nationwide Van Lines move your life overseas successfully!

Required Documents for Import

Convention Relative Au Contrat de Transport International de Merchandises Par Route (CMR) – Document giving authority to cross-border transport of your goods by road.

Certificate of Residence (Model 2) – Issued by the local Belgian town hall of your city of residence.

Certificate of Change of Residence (Model 8) – Issued by the local town hall in Belgium where you’ve lived prior for returning Belgians.

Import Requirements and Documentation

Paperwork is very important when it comes to identifying you and your goods. Take a look below at some of the necessary documents needed by Customs.

  • A copy of your Passport with photograph and signature
  • Proof of your abroad residence being cancelled
  • Express Release
  • Packing List
  • Certificate for Free Entry
  • Lease Contract or a Renting Voucher
  • Certificate of Residence Certificate if a Belgian national
  • Your Work Permit
  • Your insurance and indemnity documents
  • Original Certificate of Residence obtained from the local Belgian town hall

Additional detailed document requirements

  • Your Inventory List must be an original with 5 copies, valued, signed and dated by you, must have an official statement for the Customs Administration accompanying it, includes all weapons manufacturer’s name, type, caliber and the serial number and have the serial number of all electronics.
  • If your move is corporate sponsored, a signed and stamped declaration is needed from your employer confirming the transfer.
  • If importing from a non EU country, you must show proof of living abroad for no less than a year or an employer of the origin country or part of a branch office in Belgium.
  • All contact addresses and telephone numbers must appear on every document.
  • A Letter of Employment showing that you’ve worked abroad for no less than a year. Show the start and end date.
  • If you are missing any documents, you will have to pay a bank guarantee which is fully refundable if you can provide all needed documents within 6 months.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Belgium along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

As part of the European Union, there are duty-free opportunities with restrictions. If there are duties to pay, they range from 3.5 to 15%. Your Value-Added Tax (VAT) will be 21%. Below you will find the duty-free scenarios:

Duty-free Items

EU standards

If moving from the UK, the below items will be duty-free:

  • Skincare products
  • Fragrances
  • Champagne
  • Fashion accessories
  • Souvenirs
  • Gifts
  • Cosmetics
  • Selected spirits
  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a European Union country, all HHGS will be duty-free with the restrictions below to deem as personal use, not for commercial use or sale:

  • 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars, 400 cigarillos or 1 kilograms of tobacco
  • 90 liters of wine (if sparkling wine), no more than 60 liters)
  • 10 liters of spirits (over 22%)
  • 20 liters of alcoholic beverages (no more than 22%)
  • 110 liters of beer

If moving from a non-European Union country, the following HHGS can be imported by persons 17 years or older duty-free.

  • 16 liters of beer
  • 1 liter of alcohol (over 22%)
  • 2 liters of alcohol (less than 22%)
  • 4 liters of wine
  • 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 100 cigarillos or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Other HHGS up to $546.47 USD in worth for air and sea travelers, $381.26 USD in worth for other travelers and $190.63 USD in worth for children who are 15 years or younger

If you are a non-European resident planning to reside in Belgium permanently, your goods are duty-free and VAT-free if you’ve lived abroad for a year or more fully and your HHGS and personal effects are owned for at least 6 months before being exported.

If you are a foreigner without your Certificate of Residence in Belgium must pay a warranty of 10% for Customs duties.

You can ship multiple shipments of HHGS duty-free as long as you declare all shipments during the first import.

Labeling and Marking Requirements

The correct labeling and markings are very important for Customs. Each mark and label should be in the English, French, German or Dutch language. Please take a look below to discover the marking and labeling requirements.

  • The name and address of the importer
  • The country of Origin
  • Clearly numbered in reflection of the inventory list
  • The quantity

Prohibited Items

To assure of no difficulties of Custom clearance, review the prohibited items below.

  • Drugs
  • Narcotics

Restricted Items

There are many situations where an item can be imported yet with certain rules. The following are some of the restricted items:

  • Animal products must be identified on your Inventory List and received from the Belgium Consulate for import.
  • Souvenirs and Gifts will be charged a duty.
  • Electronics, electronic equipment and appliances not from a EU country may need modifications to work in Belgium.
  • Honey is banned from some countries. Please contact your local chamber of commerce for more details.
  • Items 6 months or newer are considered New Items and are charge duties.
  • Alcohol.
  • Shoes must be described entirely of its material and type of shoe.
  • Fax machines need Customs approval.
  • Foodstuff.
  • Gemstones will need to be inspected by the diamond customs office in Antwerp.
  • 100 liters of wine.
  • Alcohol must be authorized from the territorial administration.
  • Any plants or vegetables are in need of a Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the Ministry of Agriculture at origin.
  • Endangered species import must have a CITES permit.
  • Medicine will need the doctor’s prescription accompanying it.
  • Tobacco products.
  • Plastic kitchenware made of melamine and polyamides and deriving from China or Hong Kong are not permitted for import.
  • Telephones need Customs approval.
  • Firearms and weapons must have a special license accompanying them.

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

For more information regarding moving to

National helpdesks

Douane en Accijnzen
North Galaxy
K. Albert II laan ,33
1030 Brussels

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.